Two more held in student kidnapping case
Berhampur: Police on Monday arrested two more persons in connection with the abduction of a student of Khallikote autonomous college here.
With this, the total number of arrested persons for the kidnapping of K Ganesh Reddy increased to nine, police said.
Krushna Pandi and Ananga Panda, an auto-rickshaw driver and a former sales representative of a private cell phone company respectively were arrested on charge of kidnapping the student.
The gang had demanded a ransom of Rs 10 lakh from Reddy`s builder father K Mohan Rao, Inspector in charge (Town police) here SS Mohapatra said.
Both belonging to Berhampur town were handed over to Banapur police, he said. A case was registered at Banapur police station for abduction of the student on April 27.
Ganesh, a final year student of Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA) of Martha Street here was going to Salia Dam along with his three friends when a group of miscreants abducted him at gun point.
Police however rescued him unhurt at Tamanaghati, near here after three days.
Earlier police had arrested seven persons, including one of the friends of Ganesh. They also seized the vehicle that was allegedly used to kidnap the student and arrested its driver.
Police suspected the reason behind the abduction was extortion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...