Vigilance sleuths collect evidence on relief loot case
Cuttack: Vigilance sleuths on Tuesday collected several documentary and other evidence after raiding houses of several corporators and the office of the Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) regarding loot of relief materials.
At least 30 teams of the anti-corruption wing of the police simultaneously searched the houses of 29 CMC corporators, including that of 21 ruling BJD corporators, while another team raided the CMC office and the residences of its former commissioner N R Mohapatra and deputy commissioner Jaganarayan Kujur.
For their dubious role in misappropriating of relief materials, Mohapatra was removed from his post while Kujur was placed under suspension on Monday.
Likewise, a senior BJD corporator and former deputy mayor of the city Madhusudan Sahu was also suspended from the party by the BJD president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Vigilance sources said that both Mohapatra and Kujur are being examined in detail regarding the distribution of relief material and the discrepancies thereof and said further quizzing of the tainted officials would be made as the enquiry is still on.
Earlier in the day, the search parties had obtained search warrants in the names of the corporators and officials from the relevant courts.
So far the vigilance enquiry has revealed that at least 27,000 people of Cuttack city were evacuated on October 12 from low-lying areas to safer places in view of the severe cyclone and they were sheltered at 72 shelter houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly