Withdrawal of cases against Maoist leader rejected

Last Updated: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 21:48

Koraput: A local court in
Orissa`s Koraput district on Thursday rejected on technical grounds
the state government`s application seeking withdrawal of cases
against Maoist leader Ganti Prasad Rao alias Prasadam.

"The court rejected it citing that the application
should have been filed by the assistant public prosecutor
and not the public prosecutor as the assistant was in-charge
of the case," assistant public prosecutor Pramod Kumar Padhi
said.

"As the lower court rejected the application, now the
public prosecutor will file the application at the district
court," he said.

Ganti Prasadam who was arrested by Orissa police from
Vishakhapatanam in November 2010 on charge of abetting Maoist
activities in the state, was among the five persons whose
release was demanded by Maoists during abduction of the then
Malkangiri collector R Vineel Krishna and a junior engineer.

The state government had accordingly signed an
agreement with three Maoist selected mediators to ensure
withdrawal of cases against Ganti and four others.

While four others including top Maoist leader
Ramakrishna`s wife Padma, had so far been released from the
jail after cases against them were withdrawn, Ganti continued
to stay in the jail.

Ganti, who was involved in the negotiation for safe
release of Krishna, was brought to Bhubaneswar for holding
one-to-one talks with mediators who met him at the special
jail.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 21:48

comments powered by Disqus