Work remains stalled for fourth day at Posco site
Paradip: Work remained stalled for the
fourth consecutive day on Tuesday with villagers stepping up
protests at the Posco steel project site in Orissa`s
"Work remains suspended in the area. Discussion with the
people is continuing. We are hopeful of a consensus and the
work will start soon," District Collector N C Jena said.
Initially, with the cooperation of pro-industry outfit
United Action Committee (UAC), land acquisition, ground
levelling, construction of boundary wall and tree felling went
on for a few days.
Resentment, however, brewed among villagers affiliated to
UAC over the issue of compensation and other amenities.
They demanded fulfilment of a six-point charter of
demands before work went ahead in the area.
As a result, Nuagaon area, barely three km from Dhinkia,
has turned out to be a new botheration as villagers under the
banner of Bhitamati Surakshya Manch are sitting on dharna with
women keeping a watch to prevent felling of trees.
Meanwhile, anti-Posco organisation Posco Pratirodh
Sangram Samiti (PPSS) leader Abhay Sahu said, "If needed, PPSS
will agitate at Nuagaon as well if the government attempts
tree felling in the area."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Nine-time champion Rafael Nadal pulls out of French Open with wrist injury
- Politicians must restrain from making comments on 2nd term of Rajan: Assocham
- India's forex reserves down $121.3 mn to $360.90 bn
- Axis Bank raises Rs 2,430 cr from debentures
- 'GDP growth rate to be lower than CSO's forecast of 7.6% in FY16'