Work remains stalled for fourth day at Posco site
Paradip: Work remained stalled for the
fourth consecutive day on Tuesday with villagers stepping up
protests at the Posco steel project site in Orissa`s
"Work remains suspended in the area. Discussion with the
people is continuing. We are hopeful of a consensus and the
work will start soon," District Collector N C Jena said.
Initially, with the cooperation of pro-industry outfit
United Action Committee (UAC), land acquisition, ground
levelling, construction of boundary wall and tree felling went
on for a few days.
Resentment, however, brewed among villagers affiliated to
UAC over the issue of compensation and other amenities.
They demanded fulfilment of a six-point charter of
demands before work went ahead in the area.
As a result, Nuagaon area, barely three km from Dhinkia,
has turned out to be a new botheration as villagers under the
banner of Bhitamati Surakshya Manch are sitting on dharna with
women keeping a watch to prevent felling of trees.
Meanwhile, anti-Posco organisation Posco Pratirodh
Sangram Samiti (PPSS) leader Abhay Sahu said, "If needed, PPSS
will agitate at Nuagaon as well if the government attempts
tree felling in the area."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand