Work remains stalled for fourth day at Posco site
Paradip: Work remained stalled for the
fourth consecutive day on Tuesday with villagers stepping up
protests at the Posco steel project site in Orissa`s
"Work remains suspended in the area. Discussion with the
people is continuing. We are hopeful of a consensus and the
work will start soon," District Collector N C Jena said.
Initially, with the cooperation of pro-industry outfit
United Action Committee (UAC), land acquisition, ground
levelling, construction of boundary wall and tree felling went
on for a few days.
Resentment, however, brewed among villagers affiliated to
UAC over the issue of compensation and other amenities.
They demanded fulfilment of a six-point charter of
demands before work went ahead in the area.
As a result, Nuagaon area, barely three km from Dhinkia,
has turned out to be a new botheration as villagers under the
banner of Bhitamati Surakshya Manch are sitting on dharna with
women keeping a watch to prevent felling of trees.
Meanwhile, anti-Posco organisation Posco Pratirodh
Sangram Samiti (PPSS) leader Abhay Sahu said, "If needed, PPSS
will agitate at Nuagaon as well if the government attempts
tree felling in the area."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda