Work remains stalled for fourth day at Posco site
Paradip: Work remained stalled for the
fourth consecutive day on Tuesday with villagers stepping up
protests at the Posco steel project site in Orissa`s
"Work remains suspended in the area. Discussion with the
people is continuing. We are hopeful of a consensus and the
work will start soon," District Collector N C Jena said.
Initially, with the cooperation of pro-industry outfit
United Action Committee (UAC), land acquisition, ground
levelling, construction of boundary wall and tree felling went
on for a few days.
Resentment, however, brewed among villagers affiliated to
UAC over the issue of compensation and other amenities.
They demanded fulfilment of a six-point charter of
demands before work went ahead in the area.
As a result, Nuagaon area, barely three km from Dhinkia,
has turned out to be a new botheration as villagers under the
banner of Bhitamati Surakshya Manch are sitting on dharna with
women keeping a watch to prevent felling of trees.
Meanwhile, anti-Posco organisation Posco Pratirodh
Sangram Samiti (PPSS) leader Abhay Sahu said, "If needed, PPSS
will agitate at Nuagaon as well if the government attempts
tree felling in the area."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India