Amarinder pushed Punjab in debt trap: Sukhbir
Amritsar: Deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Thursday mounted a fresh attack on the Congress over its charges that the Badals had led Punjab to bankruptcy, saying it was Capt Amarinder Singh, who had pushed the state more into the debts as Chief minister in the last government.
Out of the total Rs 65,000 crore state debt, the last government, led by the state Congress unit chief, took debt more than Rs 19,620 crore, Badal told reporters here today.
"Why cannot he come out with facts and figures that what he did for Punjab during his tenure and what he intended to do," he asked, adding, the ruling SAD-BJP combine will soon come out with details of economic growth and development measures in the state.
Badal said the state has recorded 8.8 per cent growth against the national average of 7.4 per cent, as calculated by the Central Statistical Organisation, which disproved the claims of the Congress leader.
To a query regarding the Centre`s appeal to the states to lower taxes to check inflation, Badal said the Centre should first raise the share of Punjab in central taxes from 1.3 to 5 per cent.
To a separate question, Badal said he has already asked intelligence wing to keep an eye on hoarders and DCs were asked to conduct raids.
Badal said the Punjab government would soon install jammers in the jails to check the misuse of mobiles by inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- After KSRTC strike, Karnataka bandh called on July 30 over Mahadayi river water verdict
- Sun Pharma in $50 million deal with Spanish firm
- Tanmay Bhat jokes about Priyanka Chopra’s accent – Here’s her response and it’s cool!
- Kylie Jenner is broke?
- IndiGo flight hits turbulence due to slogans hailing ISIS – Find shocking details here