Arun Jaitley`s Amritsar tour starts with balloon blasts
Amritsar: BJP leader Arun Jaitley`s arrival here Tuesday started literally with a `bang` when gas-filled balloons put up for his welcome caught fire from exploding firecrackers.
Jaitley and other party leaders suffered minor burn injuries as the balloons went off at the Novelty Chowk when his procession reached there.
Jaitley, the Bharatiya Janata Party candidate for the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat in place of the outgoing Navjot Singh Sidhu, was given a warm welcome by BJP and Akali Dal leaders.
Punjab cabinet ministers Bikram Singh Majithia and Anil Joshi and Punjab BJP president Kamal Sharma accompanied Jaitley in an open truck as he went to the Golden Temple to offer prayers.
Amritsar`s BJP MP and cricketer-turned-politician Sidhu was conspicuous by his absence during Jaitley`s roadshow.
A former union law minister, Jaitley is leader of the opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar