Badal, Bajwa mourn death of Ludhiana acid attack victim
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday expressed grief and sorrow over the demise of Ludhiana acid attack victim, who breathed her last at a hospital in Mumbai.
In a condolence message, Badal said it was unfortunate that Harpreet Kaur became another victim of a heinous crime against humanity, especially the women.
The state government will initiate every step to ensure that exemplary punishment was awarded to the accused involved in such dastardly act, he said.
Harpreet, 22, who suffered serious burn injuries in an acid attack, breathed her last at a Mumbai hospital yesterday.
She was shifted from DMC hospital, Ludhiana to National Burns Centre, Mumbai on December 12.
The victim had gone to a beauty salon in Sarabha Nagar for her bridal make-up shortly before her marriage on December 7 when the accused youth barged in and threw acid on her.
Meanwhile, Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa also expressed shock over the demise of Harpreet.
In a statement, Bajwa said the life of the girl could have been saved with timely financial help for her treatment.
He, however, hailed the efforts of Ludhiana police in trying to save the girl and quick arrest of the accused.
He said that it was unfortunate that SAD-BJP combine government had failed to control the open sale of acid despite order by the Supreme Court.
The Congress leader said that in the last three years 24 girls were attacked with acid and demanded immediate ban on open sale of acid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda