Badal says rail fare hike `a stab in the back` of common man
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Wednesday slammed the hike in railway fares while accusing the UPA government of being "least sensitive" to hardships of the common man.
In a statement issued here, Badal said the hike of 2 to 10 paise per km in rail fare was a "stab in the back" of countrymen, especially the poor, for whom railway is the only affordable mode of transport.
Badal said this hike in the fare of railways would certainly put a hole in the pocket of common man and make his life further miserable considering fares of other transport, including state roadways buses have, already gone up due to a hike in diesel prices.
Reacting sharply to media reports on the proposed move to hike the price of subsidised LPG cylinders by Rs 130 and increasing diesel prices Rs 1 per litre every month for next 10 to 15 months, Badal said, "it will inflict another blow to the countrymen."
Cautioning the UPA government to desist from such "anti-people" moves, Badal reminded them of the upcoming 2014 Lok Sabha polls saying, "UPA cannot take the innocent voters of the country for a ride as one can befool a person only once."
Meanwhile, Indian National Lok Dal, the opposition party in Haryana, also chastised the rail fare hike announced by the Centre today.
"We want a rollback immediately," INLD, Secretary General, Ajay Chautala said in a statement.
Upset over rail fare hike, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) held demonstration against the fare hike here.
Protesters led by BJYM President, Maheshinder Singh Sidhu raised slogans against Railways Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and burned his effigy.
Sidhu said the hike in rail fares is not at all justified and it will further burden the common man, who is already reeling under severe inflation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened