BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border
Chandigarh: In a major haul, the Border Security Force (BSF) Saturday recovered 23 kg of heroin from two different places along the India-Pakistan international border, BSF officials said.
The heroin, valued at nearly Rs 115 crore, was recovered from the international border belt in Amritsar and Ferozepur districts.
BSF officials said 13 kg of heroin was recovered from near the Pallopatti border out-post (BOP) in Ferozepur sector early Saturday as Pakistani smugglers, taking advantage of the foggy weather and the standing crops, tried to push the consignment into the Indian territory.
"The BSF guards noticed some movement near the BOP and fired a mortar to illuminate the area. The movement of three people, including one with a bag containing the heroin, was seen. The smugglers escaped taking advantage of the darkness," a BSF official said in Ferozepur.
The BSF also recovered one pistol and ammunition from the spot.
In the second incident, alert BSF troopers seized a packet containing 10 kg of heroin from near the Ghoga BOP in Amritsar sector Saturday morning.
In this incident also, the smugglers from Pakistan escaped even though the BSF fired at them.
"BSF jawans (troopers) also recovered a plastic pipe from the spot with which the smugglers were likely to push the consignment across the fencing," a BSF official in Amritsar said.
The 553-km India Pakistan border in Punjab is fenced with barbed wire inside Indian territory.
In the last few weeks, BSF has recovered nearly 45 kg of heroin along the border belt.
BSF Inspector General (Punjab frontier) Aditya Mishra had recently issued special directions to troopers to ensure border domination, especially in the extreme cold and foggy conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly