Centre slammed for omitting Jat Sikhs from OBC list
Ludhiana: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Tuesday slammed the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government in the centre for deliberately denying the other backward castes (OBC) status to Punjab`s Jat Sikhs.
Talking to the media here after an event, Badal said the central government had recently started a process to include Jat community of north Indian states in the OBC list but the Jat Sikhs of Punjab have not been included in the same.
"This reflects a step-motherly treatment meted out to Punjab. It is another instance of discrimination with the state, which has been denied its own capital, legitimate share in river waters and even Punjabi-speaking areas in the past," Badal said.
He said the Jat Sikh community, primarily agrarian, helped the country become self-sufficient in foodgrain over the years.
He blamed the Congress for playing politics of divide and rule and said this omission was not in the interest of the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened