Cong to sweep municipal polls in Punjab: Amarinder
Amritsar: Unfazed by the Congress` rout in Punjab Assembly elections, PPCC chief Amarinder Singh on Tuesday claimed that the party will sweep all the four municipal corporations going to the polls on June 10.
He also warned the ruling SAD-BJP alliance in the state against any attempt at intimidating Congress workers at the time of elections, saying they were geared up to retaliate in equal measure.
Talking to the media before launching Congress` campaign here, Amarinder claimed the morale in the party`s ranks was at an all time high saying this reflected in the large number of party candidates applying for 250 corporation seats.
Congress had suffered a drubbing at the hands of SAD-BJP alliance in the Punjab Assembly elections which saw the combine returning to power for the second consecutive term.
Ridiculing Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal`s claims that so many Congressmen were willing to join the Akali Dal, the PCC President remarked, "He seems to be living n a fool?s paradise."
One or two leaders joining SAD here and there does not mean that the entire Congress was joining his party, he said.
Claiming that Congress candidates who had withdrawn in favour of the Akalis or the BJP had done it under coercion and duress, he said, "The Akalis and BJP have been trying to use all the dirty tricks in the trade to force withdrawal by Congress candidates.
They have succeeded only at some places, while they have attempted it everywhere," he said.
He stated that the very fact that the Akalis and the BJP are so desperate to force Congress candidates to withdraw is indicative of their imminent defeat.
"If they had been confident of victory they would never have tried to buy or force withdrawals," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31