Farmers throw rail traffic out of gear
Amritsar: Several farmers on Thursday staged anti-government protest by blocking traffic on the national highway at Raya-Beas town nearly 45 km away from here.
At Raya farmers blocked the Amritsar-Delhi railway line while squatting on the track.
The protesters lifted the blockade after Additional Deputy Commissioner Supreet Singh Gulati assured farmers to arrange meeting with senior officials at Chandigarh to sort out the issue.
The agitating farmers led by Kisan Sangrash Committee led by Kawalpreet Singh Pannu and 16 other farmers organisation staged stir against the government while demanding that shops should not be demolished at the main bazaar of Baba Bakala town nearly 40 km from here.
During protest many trains including Shatabdi Express, Tata Mori and local trains were affected and ran behind the schedule, railway officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31