Farmers throw rail traffic out of gear
Amritsar: Several farmers on Thursday staged anti-government protest by blocking traffic on the national highway at Raya-Beas town nearly 45 km away from here.
At Raya farmers blocked the Amritsar-Delhi railway line while squatting on the track.
The protesters lifted the blockade after Additional Deputy Commissioner Supreet Singh Gulati assured farmers to arrange meeting with senior officials at Chandigarh to sort out the issue.
The agitating farmers led by Kisan Sangrash Committee led by Kawalpreet Singh Pannu and 16 other farmers organisation staged stir against the government while demanding that shops should not be demolished at the main bazaar of Baba Bakala town nearly 40 km from here.
During protest many trains including Shatabdi Express, Tata Mori and local trains were affected and ran behind the schedule, railway officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users