Farmers throw rail traffic out of gear
Amritsar: Several farmers on Thursday staged anti-government protest by blocking traffic on the national highway at Raya-Beas town nearly 45 km away from here.
At Raya farmers blocked the Amritsar-Delhi railway line while squatting on the track.
The protesters lifted the blockade after Additional Deputy Commissioner Supreet Singh Gulati assured farmers to arrange meeting with senior officials at Chandigarh to sort out the issue.
The agitating farmers led by Kisan Sangrash Committee led by Kawalpreet Singh Pannu and 16 other farmers organisation staged stir against the government while demanding that shops should not be demolished at the main bazaar of Baba Bakala town nearly 40 km from here.
During protest many trains including Shatabdi Express, Tata Mori and local trains were affected and ran behind the schedule, railway officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj