Farmers throw rail traffic out of gear
Amritsar: Several farmers on Thursday staged anti-government protest by blocking traffic on the national highway at Raya-Beas town nearly 45 km away from here.
At Raya farmers blocked the Amritsar-Delhi railway line while squatting on the track.
The protesters lifted the blockade after Additional Deputy Commissioner Supreet Singh Gulati assured farmers to arrange meeting with senior officials at Chandigarh to sort out the issue.
The agitating farmers led by Kisan Sangrash Committee led by Kawalpreet Singh Pannu and 16 other farmers organisation staged stir against the government while demanding that shops should not be demolished at the main bazaar of Baba Bakala town nearly 40 km from here.
During protest many trains including Shatabdi Express, Tata Mori and local trains were affected and ran behind the schedule, railway officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'