Four-fold surge in number of candidates for SSC exams in 2011
Chandigarh: Staff Selection Commission,
which would soon start the process of filling up over 50,000
vacant posts, has seen a four-fold surge in the number of
candidates taking various examinations conducted by it within
a span of one year, its chairman N K Raghupathy has said.
"This is for the first time that the Union Government
has decided to conduct a common recruitment examination for
recruitment of constables in all the Central Police
Organisations through SSC. Earlier, the respective CPOs used
to make recruitment of constables by their own," Raghupathy
told reporters here.
On the surge in number of candidates, he said that as
against 11.5 lakh candidates who took various examinations
held by the SSC in 2009-10 out of a total 18.1 lakh
applications received, the SSC would be handling a whopping 55
lakh applications in 2010-11, with 47 lakh candidates expected
to appear for various examinations.
He said that the Union Home Ministry had intimated the
SSC about 53,200 vacancies of constables that exist now in the
CPOs and told them that these could go up to 80,000 by the
time they conduct the examination.
"The vacancies are to be filled up within six months,
with the Home Ministry asking us that they want to fill up the
vacancies in ITBP and Assam Rifles on priority," he said,
adding those candidates who are domiciled in a particular
state are eligible for the posts reserved in those states.
Raghupathy said that out of total vacancies of
constables, 1257 were reserved for women while there were
state-wise reservations as well which included 1423 for J&K
including 236 for the border districts like Baramulla,
Kupwara, Poonch, Rajouri, Jammu, Kathua, Leh and Kargil,
1036 for Punjab State, 620 for Haryana and 217 for HP.
Refugees from Pakistan who settled in J&K were also
eligible to take the examination, which will be held on June 5
after the eligible candidates had qualified in physical
standard/physical efficiency test, he said.
The CPOs cover the para military forces including CRPF,
BSF, ITBP, SSB and CISF.
The SSC chairman said the commission, which proposes to
have a sub-regional office opened at Srinagar this year, is
planning to conduct a "special examination" for J&K candidates
shortly for the posts of auditors and for vacancies in other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now