Heavy rains lash many places in Punjab and Haryana
Chandigarh: Parts of Punjab and Haryana were lashed by moderate to heavy rains early moday making the mercury dip by a few notches.
Heavy showers (90.4 mm) lashed Chandigarh in the wee hours leaving many roads flooded with rain water for a while.
The condition of several roads in Chandigarh, which is the joint capital of Haryana and Punjab, has further worsened during the past one month due to rains.
According to the local weather office, most places in Punjab were lashed by heavy rains.
Kapurthala was the wettest place in the state today receiving a heavy downpour of 137mm followed by Moga, which got 124mm of showers.
Among other places in Punjab to be lashed by rains include Amritsar (12.1 mm), Ludhiana (4.5 mm), Patiala (35.1 mm) Nangal Dam (31 mm), Mukerian (7.1 mm), Ferozepur (28 mm), Faridkot (29 mm), Barnala (24.9 mm) and Hoshiarpur (48.5 mm).
In Haryana, rains lashed Ambala (20 mm), Karnal (4.4 mm), Rohtak (1.2 mm), Panchkula (50 mm), Kalka (35 mm), Morni (20 mm), Barwala (14 mm), Panipat (2 mm), Kurukshetra (4 mm) and Rewari (16 mm).
The rains caused mercury to fall in the two states and Chandigarh by a few notches in the morning.
The south-west monsoon, which generally withdraws by September end or early October, has been very active in the region during the past few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter