IAF`s Bhatinda base to be operational by next year
Marlboro (US): The Indian Air Force base at
Bhatinda in Punjab, which is being modernised under the
Modernisation of Air Force Infrastructure (MAFI) plan, will
become operational by June next year.
"We are looking at making the Bhatinda air force station
operational under MAFI by first quarter of the next year,"
Saranjit Aujla of Raytheon`s Network Centric Systems told a
delegation of Indian journalists here.
Tata Power SED has won the US 240 million dollar contract
for modernising the air force station which includes new
runways, new lighting system and Air Traffic Control (ATC)
The ATC component is being provided by the US-based
Raytheon Company, which will be installing Auto Trac III
systems at the IAF stations.
Aujla said the company, as part of MAFI phase one, has
undertaken work on 30 IAF stations while work on another 25
stations would be taken up in the second phase.
"The work on phase I began in July this year and would be
completed in three years (2014)," he said.
The official of the leading supplier of defence and civil
aviation communications equipment said the work on second
phase would begin in 2013.
The US company, which has its foot prints already in the
civil aviation sector of India, would impart maintenance and
adaptation training to the personnel of the TATA power SED,
which is the prime contractor for MAFI project.
"The Controller training of the personnel for operation
of ATC systems will be imparted in India as there were some
issues related to visa," Aujla said.
A team of TATA Power SED is already undergoing training
at Raytheon`s Network Centric System facility here in
Asked about the security concerns that might arise out of
Raytheon people visiting the Air Force Station in India, the
official said they have already submitted the resume of
engineers for clearance to avoid delays.
"We have visualised all possibilities in advance and have
been working on them. We have submitted the resume of our
engineers (who will be visiting the sites for installation of
ATC systems)," Aujla said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note