Indo-Pak buses diverted due to blockade at NH1
Zee Media Bureau
Phagwara: Two Indo-Pak `Sada-e-Sarhad` buses, connecting Delhi with Lahore, had to be diverted on Friday after a group of villagers blocked the national highway here to protest the death of an undertrial.
While one was Lahore-bound, the other was on its way to Delhi from Pakistan, police said.
The Lahore-Delhi international bus was diverted from village Mehtan to Phagwara bypass to NH-1 via Hargobind Nagar.
The Delhi-Lahore bus was also diverted from Hargobind Nagar to Phagwara bypass to NH-1 via Mehtan.
"Both buses kept their onward journey without any hindrance," police said.
Man dies in jail custody, family members block road
A 28-year-old man arrested for illegally possession of drug died in custody of the Phagwara sub-jail here, following which his family members and relatives blocked the National Highway-1 claiming foul play, prompting the authorities to order a probe into the matter.
Gurprees Singh alias Gopi (28) died at the sub-jail last night. Police claimed that after his sugar level suddenly fell, he was rushed to the government hospital where he died. Gopi, a resident of Mahlan village near Goraya of the district was arrested last month.
Alleging that he was falsely implicated in the case and later drugged to death, Gopi`s family members and villagers blocked traffic for nearly two-and-a-half hours on the New Delhi-Attari National Highway-1 near civil hospital and then at the Sugar Mill crossing here.
They demanded action against the sub-jail staff members for their alleged complicity in the death and doctors. Balwinder Kaur, Gopi`s mother, alleged that police had demanded money from him.
They also staged a dharna at the hospital, declaring they won`t allow post-mortem on the body till their demands were met. Doctors and para-medical staff also stopped work and held a parallel dharna, demanding action against those who had created ruckus at the hospital, manhandled duty doctor Kuldip Kumar, ransacked room and vandalised furniture and stationary last night.
Sub-divisional Medical Officer Dr Manohar Lal, however, said Gopi was brought to the hospital around 8:30 PM yesterday in a comatose state. Despite best efforts by doctors he died soon after.
The jail authorities also rubbished all the allegations.
A judicial probe was ordered into the incident and Sub-Judicial Magistrate (SJM) Rupinder Singh today began probe into it. Singh recorded statements of the bereaved family, including Gopi`s mother and a sister.
With PTI Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump