Ludhiana assault: Three sent to police remand
Ludhiana: A court here Thursday remanded three influential people to police custody till Dec 31 for allegedly assaulting a senior Punjab Police officer at a night club here Monday night.
The three men -- club owner Maninder Singh alias Sunny Johar, Emman alias Aman and Rishi Banda -- were arrested Wednesday.
While Aman was held in Ludhiana, Sunny Johar and Rishi, who were on the run, were held near Derabassi, a town 20 km from Chandigarh.
The three, with some bouncers of nightclub The Hub, are accused of assaulting assistant inspector general S.S. Mand and his NRI friend Paramjit Singh following an argument.
Mand had to be rushed to a hospital where he underwent surgery on his leg due to serious injuries.
The accused were associated with the ruling Akali Dal and were office-bearers of Youth Akali Dal.
The party, however, disassociated itself from them saying the three were expelled in May for "anti-party activities".
Ludhiana police had booked the three on charges of attempt to murder and under the Arms Act. They had absconded after the assault on Mand and his friend, police said.
On being intercepted, the accused tried to flee after abandoning their vehicle but were overpowered, a police spokesman said.
A .32 bore revolver with six cartridges, which were snatched from the complainant, was recovered from Sunny Johar, he added.
Leaders of opposition Congress alleged that the accused were considered close to state revenue minister and Youth Akali Dal president Bikram Singh Majithia.
Majithia is the brother-in-law of deputy chief minister and state home minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
The complaint in the incident was filed by Canada-based non-resident Indian (NRI) Paramjit Singh. Mand later told the media that he had slipped at the club and injured himself.
However, police said CCTV footage outside the club showed Mand and his friend being thrashed by the three accused and some bouncers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption