Over 2 lakh fresh voters apply for enrolment in Punjab
Chandigarh: Over two lakh people applied for their enrolment as fresh voters across Punjab during a voter enrolment drive on March 9, an Election Commission official said here on Monday.
The concept of Election Commission of India of enrolling eligible voters received unprecedented response with more than two lakh people applying for enrolment as voters in a single day on March nine, Punjab Chief Election Officer V K Singh said.
It was for the first time that Booth Level Officers (BLOs) sat in their 22,018 polling booths displaying their latest voter lists and receiving enrolment as well as transfer forms from voters, he said.
District Ludhiana witnessed maximum response with 30,217 people applying for voter cards in a single day, he said.
At present there are 1.92 crore voters, including 90 lakh women, in Punjab. The Lok Sabha polls for 13 seats of the state are scheduled for April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you