Over 2 lakh fresh voters apply for enrolment in Punjab
Chandigarh: Over two lakh people applied for their enrolment as fresh voters across Punjab during a voter enrolment drive on March 9, an Election Commission official said here on Monday.
The concept of Election Commission of India of enrolling eligible voters received unprecedented response with more than two lakh people applying for enrolment as voters in a single day on March nine, Punjab Chief Election Officer V K Singh said.
It was for the first time that Booth Level Officers (BLOs) sat in their 22,018 polling booths displaying their latest voter lists and receiving enrolment as well as transfer forms from voters, he said.
District Ludhiana witnessed maximum response with 30,217 people applying for voter cards in a single day, he said.
At present there are 1.92 crore voters, including 90 lakh women, in Punjab. The Lok Sabha polls for 13 seats of the state are scheduled for April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!