Over 2 lakh fresh voters apply for enrolment in Punjab
Chandigarh: Over two lakh people applied for their enrolment as fresh voters across Punjab during a voter enrolment drive on March 9, an Election Commission official said here on Monday.
The concept of Election Commission of India of enrolling eligible voters received unprecedented response with more than two lakh people applying for enrolment as voters in a single day on March nine, Punjab Chief Election Officer V K Singh said.
It was for the first time that Booth Level Officers (BLOs) sat in their 22,018 polling booths displaying their latest voter lists and receiving enrolment as well as transfer forms from voters, he said.
District Ludhiana witnessed maximum response with 30,217 people applying for voter cards in a single day, he said.
At present there are 1.92 crore voters, including 90 lakh women, in Punjab. The Lok Sabha polls for 13 seats of the state are scheduled for April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'