Pratap Singh Bajwa welcomes ordinance on food security
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Thursday welcomed UPA government`s decision to promulgate an ordinance on food security.
In a statement issued, state Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa said the food security bill was a dream project of Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the ordinance will ensure food to 67 per cent of the country`s total population.
Punjab government had started Atta-Dal scheme for below poverty line people but it only proved to be an election gimmick, he said and alleged that the poor were not getting subsidised food in the state.
Bajwa demanded that the SAD-BJP government should conduct fresh survey of people living below poverty line so that maximum people could take advantage of food security.
Meanwhile, Punjab Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia said UPA government`s ordinance on food security was to tempt common people on the eve of general elections.
Describing the bill as "poor carbon copy" of the SAD-BJP government`s Atta-Dal scheme, he said the UPA government had never bothered about the interests of poor people.
Pointing out that the Parkash Singh Badal-led government has been providing 35 kg wheat and 4 kg dal from its limited resources to more than 16 lakh families since 2007, Majithia said UPA government has no agenda for welfare of poor people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next