Pratap Singh Bajwa welcomes ordinance on food security
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Thursday welcomed UPA government`s decision to promulgate an ordinance on food security.
In a statement issued, state Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa said the food security bill was a dream project of Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the ordinance will ensure food to 67 per cent of the country`s total population.
Punjab government had started Atta-Dal scheme for below poverty line people but it only proved to be an election gimmick, he said and alleged that the poor were not getting subsidised food in the state.
Bajwa demanded that the SAD-BJP government should conduct fresh survey of people living below poverty line so that maximum people could take advantage of food security.
Meanwhile, Punjab Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia said UPA government`s ordinance on food security was to tempt common people on the eve of general elections.
Describing the bill as "poor carbon copy" of the SAD-BJP government`s Atta-Dal scheme, he said the UPA government had never bothered about the interests of poor people.
Pointing out that the Parkash Singh Badal-led government has been providing 35 kg wheat and 4 kg dal from its limited resources to more than 16 lakh families since 2007, Majithia said UPA government has no agenda for welfare of poor people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India