Pratap Singh Bajwa welcomes ordinance on food security
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Thursday welcomed UPA government`s decision to promulgate an ordinance on food security.
In a statement issued, state Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa said the food security bill was a dream project of Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the ordinance will ensure food to 67 per cent of the country`s total population.
Punjab government had started Atta-Dal scheme for below poverty line people but it only proved to be an election gimmick, he said and alleged that the poor were not getting subsidised food in the state.
Bajwa demanded that the SAD-BJP government should conduct fresh survey of people living below poverty line so that maximum people could take advantage of food security.
Meanwhile, Punjab Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia said UPA government`s ordinance on food security was to tempt common people on the eve of general elections.
Describing the bill as "poor carbon copy" of the SAD-BJP government`s Atta-Dal scheme, he said the UPA government had never bothered about the interests of poor people.
Pointing out that the Parkash Singh Badal-led government has been providing 35 kg wheat and 4 kg dal from its limited resources to more than 16 lakh families since 2007, Majithia said UPA government has no agenda for welfare of poor people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in