Pratap Singh Bajwa welcomes ordinance on food security
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Thursday welcomed UPA government`s decision to promulgate an ordinance on food security.
In a statement issued, state Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa said the food security bill was a dream project of Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the ordinance will ensure food to 67 per cent of the country`s total population.
Punjab government had started Atta-Dal scheme for below poverty line people but it only proved to be an election gimmick, he said and alleged that the poor were not getting subsidised food in the state.
Bajwa demanded that the SAD-BJP government should conduct fresh survey of people living below poverty line so that maximum people could take advantage of food security.
Meanwhile, Punjab Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia said UPA government`s ordinance on food security was to tempt common people on the eve of general elections.
Describing the bill as "poor carbon copy" of the SAD-BJP government`s Atta-Dal scheme, he said the UPA government had never bothered about the interests of poor people.
Pointing out that the Parkash Singh Badal-led government has been providing 35 kg wheat and 4 kg dal from its limited resources to more than 16 lakh families since 2007, Majithia said UPA government has no agenda for welfare of poor people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla