Punjab: 4 cops suspended for thrashing girl on camera
Chandigarh: The authorities in Punjab have suspended four policemen, who were caught on camera thrashing a young woman in full public view, reports said on Tuesday.
The shocking incident took place on Monday when the victim and her father approached the police with a complaint of sexual harassment by truck drivers in Tarn Taran district of Punjab.
SSP Kanwaljit Singh Dhillon told reporters yesterday that four policemen have been suspended in connection with the case and departmental has also begun.
The police action was initiated after the matter was reported to the higher authorities and the visuals of the victim being thrashed by policemen were aired on TV channels.
Authorities were yesterday informed that few persons were creating "nuisance" after getting drunk at a marriage function at Gobindwal road.
Police personnel reached the spot and caught hold of Kashmira Singh and another person for creating nuisance, according to reports.
Singh`s daughter Harbinder Kaur (22) intervened and resisted while her father was being taken away to police station, as per sources.
In the melee, the turbans (head gears) of two head constables were tossed up following which they got angry and started beating the girl.
"It is unfortunate on the part of the police to hit a girl," the SSP said, adding, “We have placed Davinder Singh and Saraj Singh under suspension and marked a departmental inquiry against those involved.”
However, it was later reported that the complainant had reached a "compromise" with the cops involved and the matter was resolved.
Meanwhile, Raj Kumar Verka, Vice-Chairman, National Commission for Schedule Caste has summoned the District Commissioner, SSP Taran Taran and IG of Amritsar range along with the woman and the family to Amritsar for a hearing at 12 noon today.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Brahmos missiles deployment in Arunachal: India can do more for peace, rather than contrary, says China
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight