Punjab Minister seeks intervention of Hamid Ansari
Chandigarh: Punjab Education Minister Sikander Singh Maluka on Friday took serious exception to cancellation of entrance exam of M Phil given in Punjabi medium by Panjab University here and sought the intervention of Vice-President Hamid Ansari to reverse the decision.
The Vice President is the Chancellor of the University.
Maluka said this was a "dangerous and strange" decision against Punjab and Punjabi language that reflects "a systematic plan to decimate Punjabi language".
He said Punjab government would not tolerate neglect of Punjabi language by Panjab University, which was being provided 60 per cent financial aid by the state government.
He said Punjab has full right in Panjab University and protection of Punjabi language was the duty of the University administration.
He pointed out that even the country?s highest civil services exam was also being allowed in Punjabi medium.
Demanding Ansari`s intervention, he said Punjab government would never tolerate "discrimination" with Punjabi language and the University would have to withdraw this "anti-Punjabi" language decision.
He said the University students have every right to appear in any examination in their mother language.
The Education Minister said that taking in view the seriousness of the issue, SAD MPs from Punjab would soon call on the Prime Minister to discuss the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'