Punjab Police bust arms racket, arrest six
Fatehgarh Sahib: Punjab Police on Tuesday said they had busted an arms racket and arrested six persons in a joint operation with its Maharashtra counterpart.
The six accused - Gurwinder Singh, Bhag Inder Singh, Manpreet Singh, Rajwinder Singh, Parminder Singh and Babu Singh - all residents of Nanded in Maharashtra were arrested and booked under the Arms Act on September 15, Fatehgarh Sahib SSP Gurmeet Singh Chauhan told reporters here.
The joint operation followed the busting of a terrorist module by Punjab Police recently, in which 14 people were arrested and weapons including one AK-47 rifle were seized, the officer said.
During interrogation of the module`s kingpin Satnam Singh, investigators came across the name of an arms smuggler Gurwinder and a five-member team led by a sub-inspector was sent to Maharashtra to arrest him, Chauhan said.
After Gurwinder`s arrest, police got to know about the racket and whereabouts of others involved in the gang.
More arrests and recovery of weapons are likely, the SSP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police