Punjab Police bust arms racket, arrest six
Fatehgarh Sahib: Punjab Police on Tuesday said they had busted an arms racket and arrested six persons in a joint operation with its Maharashtra counterpart.
The six accused - Gurwinder Singh, Bhag Inder Singh, Manpreet Singh, Rajwinder Singh, Parminder Singh and Babu Singh - all residents of Nanded in Maharashtra were arrested and booked under the Arms Act on September 15, Fatehgarh Sahib SSP Gurmeet Singh Chauhan told reporters here.
The joint operation followed the busting of a terrorist module by Punjab Police recently, in which 14 people were arrested and weapons including one AK-47 rifle were seized, the officer said.
During interrogation of the module`s kingpin Satnam Singh, investigators came across the name of an arms smuggler Gurwinder and a five-member team led by a sub-inspector was sent to Maharashtra to arrest him, Chauhan said.
After Gurwinder`s arrest, police got to know about the racket and whereabouts of others involved in the gang.
More arrests and recovery of weapons are likely, the SSP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- SunRisers Hyderabad enter maiden IPL final with four-wicket win over Gujarat Lions
- Over 80 percent of world's city dwellers breathe polluted air: WHO
- CBSE class 10 results 2016 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class X Results, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 PM
- 'Third Front' leaders attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in as West Bengal CM; 42 ministers take oath
- Panasonic launches 4G VoLTE smartphone Eluga A2 at Rs 9,490