Punjab to spend Rs 10K cr to develop rural areas
Jaitu: The SAD-BJP government has chalked out a Rs 10,000 crore programme to upgrade basic infrastructure in rural areas in the coming four years.
A total of Rs 100 crore would be spent in each Assembly constituency of the state, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal told reporters here after addressing a gathering at the annual Jor Mela conference.
Besides, he said, Rs 8,750 crore urban renewal programme has already been approved to ensure 100 per cent potable water supply and sewerage system along with other civic amenities in 142 cities and towns of the state.
Replying to a query on FDI, the deputy chief minister said there were many stakeholders in this issue so it was imperative for the Congress-led UPA government to allay their apprehensions.
It should also make provisions for safeguarding the interest of small traders as well as small farmers before taking any step in this direction, he said.
Badal said resignation of three ministers was a clear example that SAD would always remain committed to value-based politics.
State minister Gulzar Singh Ranike stepped down on "moral grounds" on September 17 after a vigilance inquiry was ordered to probe role of his former personal assistant into "misappropriation" of public funds.
Apart from this, Bibi Jagir Kaur and Tota Singh resigned earlier this year after being convicted in different cases.
Badal said, on the other hand, Congress-led UPA government was facing embarrassment on every alternate day "due to exposure of various scams."
Replying on a question of possible alliance of Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh and Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) supremo Manpreet Singh Badal, the DCM said both were spent forces and desperate to find their feet again in state politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened