Punjab VB nabs BDPO, two former village Sarpanch
Amritsar: A block development officer and two former village heads were today arrested by the Punjab vigilance bureau for their alleged involvement in multi-crore "border area rural development" scam.
The arrests came a day after National Commission for SC/ST accused the department of "willfully" slowing the pace of probe into the financial bungling in rural development funds.
According to VB, arrested accused are BDPO Satwinder Singh and sarpanchs Dalip Singh and Amrik Singh.
Yesterday, National Commission for SC/ST served a month limit to the department to conclude the ongoing probe or the matter would be transferred to CBI.
Sarabdyal Singh, the personal assistant of former Animal Husbandry Minister Gulzar Singh Ranike is on run and wanted by police since the scam of border area grants surfaced three months back.
The case was transferred to VB after the resignation of Ranike few weeks back.
The latest investigation indicate that accused Sarabdyal Singh allegedly embezzled nearly Rs 4 crore by encashing 12 cheques meant for development works in Attari constituency through dummy bank accounts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar