Sikh group raps Badal regime in Bhullar case
Chandigarh: The All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) Thursday demanded that the Punjab government headed by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal should stop defending police officers responsible for the mysterious disappearance of relatives of Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, a terrorist on death row.
The Punjab government must immediately seek the transfer of Bhullar, who is lodged in Delhi`s Tihar Jail to a prison in Punjab, said AISSF president Karnail Singh Peermohammad.
"AISSF also demands that the Badal regime should stop defending the police officers responsible for the disappearance of Professor Bhullar`s father and uncle," he said here.
"In December 1991 Professor Bhullar`s father and uncle were abducted by the police under the orders of then SSP (Senior Superintendent of Police) Sumedh Saini. In July 2008, on the orders of Punjab and Haryana High Court, the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) filed a criminal case against Sumedh Saini for `abduction with intent to kill` Professor Bhullar`s father and uncle," Peermohammad said in a statement here.
"Against the High Court`s order to prosecute Sumedh Saini, present Punjab government has filed an appeal in the Supreme Court asking to quash the prosecution orders," he added.
"The present Punjab government has also refused to accept the transfer of Professor Bhullar to one of the prisons in Punjab, stating that he is a dangerous terrorist," he added.
Peermohammad accused the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal of raking up the issue of clemency for Bhullar and save him from the gallows as assembly elections in Punjab were round the corner.
Khalistan Liberation Force outfit terrorist Bhullar was sentenced to death for masterminding a 1993 car bomb attack in front of the Youth Congress office in New Delhi that killed 12 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan