SPS Rathore taken to hospital for tests; discharged
Chandigarh: Jailed former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra, was taken to a hospital here for medical tests in the wee hours of Sunday after he complained of acute chest pain and breathlessness, an official said. However, he was sent back to prison after an overall check-up and various tests.
Rathore is lodged in the Burail Jail here since May 25 when he was sentenced to 18 months` rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court.
"Rathore complained of acute chest pain and breathlessness Saturday night. A team of government doctors examined him and advised us to shift him to the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)," Additional Inspector General (Prisons) NPS Randhawa told a news agency.
"Initially he was very reluctant but after much persuasion we finally took him to PGIMER at around 1.30 am," he added.
"The doctors conducted various tests and thoroughly scrutinised Rathore`s health. Then they discharged him in the morning and we have taken him back to Burail Jail. We have all the facilities in the jail and our medical team will keep a constant eye on his health," Randhawa said.
Official sources said much drama was witnessed in Burail Jail Saturday night as prison officials attempted to convince Rathore to go to the PGIMER at around 10 p.m. But the tainted cop was adamant and refused to step out of the jail.
The officials finally called his wife and counsel Abha Rathore to the jail and he was taken to the PGIMER in a Maruti van at around 1.30 a.m. Sunday.
Rathore, 68, a former Haryana director general of police, was convicted for molesting Girhotra in 1990 in neighbouring Panchkula town. She committed suicide three years later.
He was sent to jail May 25 after the district and sessions court upheld his conviction in the molestation case by a CBI special court in December last year and enhanced his jail term to 18 months.
He has to remain in jail till June 29 as his bail petition is pending in the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The next date of hearing is slated June 29.
Abha Rathore May 26 filed a bail petition on medical grounds, saying her husband had undergone heart bypass surgery and required medical attention.
Rathore was initially sentenced to six months` rigorous imprisonment and fined Rs 1,000 by the CBI special court. He was immediately granted bail then. He filed a plea in January challenging his conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing