SPS Rathore taken to hospital for tests; discharged
Chandigarh: Jailed former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra, was taken to a hospital here for medical tests in the wee hours of Sunday after he complained of acute chest pain and breathlessness, an official said. However, he was sent back to prison after an overall check-up and various tests.
Rathore is lodged in the Burail Jail here since May 25 when he was sentenced to 18 months` rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court.
"Rathore complained of acute chest pain and breathlessness Saturday night. A team of government doctors examined him and advised us to shift him to the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)," Additional Inspector General (Prisons) NPS Randhawa told a news agency.
"Initially he was very reluctant but after much persuasion we finally took him to PGIMER at around 1.30 am," he added.
"The doctors conducted various tests and thoroughly scrutinised Rathore`s health. Then they discharged him in the morning and we have taken him back to Burail Jail. We have all the facilities in the jail and our medical team will keep a constant eye on his health," Randhawa said.
Official sources said much drama was witnessed in Burail Jail Saturday night as prison officials attempted to convince Rathore to go to the PGIMER at around 10 p.m. But the tainted cop was adamant and refused to step out of the jail.
The officials finally called his wife and counsel Abha Rathore to the jail and he was taken to the PGIMER in a Maruti van at around 1.30 a.m. Sunday.
Rathore, 68, a former Haryana director general of police, was convicted for molesting Girhotra in 1990 in neighbouring Panchkula town. She committed suicide three years later.
He was sent to jail May 25 after the district and sessions court upheld his conviction in the molestation case by a CBI special court in December last year and enhanced his jail term to 18 months.
He has to remain in jail till June 29 as his bail petition is pending in the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The next date of hearing is slated June 29.
Abha Rathore May 26 filed a bail petition on medical grounds, saying her husband had undergone heart bypass surgery and required medical attention.
Rathore was initially sentenced to six months` rigorous imprisonment and fined Rs 1,000 by the CBI special court. He was immediately granted bail then. He filed a plea in January challenging his conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam