State looks at 4% more wheat output at 157 lakh tonnes
Chandigarh: The Punjab government Thursday said
the state would achieve wheat output of nearly 157 lakh
tonnes, almost 4 per cent more than the previous year`s
production, on the back of favourable weather conditions.
The state has witnessed record low arrival of wheat
in the ongoing wheat procurement season.
"There is no reason to worry...we are eyeing to achieve
wheat production of 156.64 lakh tonnes this season which is
more than the last year`s output," Punjab, Director of
Agriculture Department, BS Sidhu said here today.
Punjab had attained wheat production of 151.69 lakh tonnes
The state, which contributes almost 60 per cent of its
output to the Central pool, is also expecting wheat yield to
go up by 1.5 quintals to 2 quintals per hectare as intense
cold conditions prevailed last winter season.
Cold wave helps in shoots multiplication and prevents pest
attack on crop.
"We are also expecting that the crop yield will also go up
by 1.5 quintals to 2 quintals per hectare because weather
remained conducive in the winter season," he noted.
Punjab is now expecting close to 45 quintals per hectare
as wheat yield compared to 43.7 quintals attained in last
Notably, Punjab had over 45 quintals of wheat yield in
1999-2000, 2000-01, 2001-02 and 2007-08.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh