Told Navjot Singh Sidhu that he will never get respect in BJP: Ramesh
Chandigarh: Union minister Jairam Ramesh on Friday took a jibe at cricketer-turned-MP Navjot Singh Sidhu, saying he had warned him against joining BJP.
"I time and again asked him (Navjot Singh Sidhu) how many days you will stay in BJP where you (Sidhu) will not get any respect and where you will be seen as danger," Ramesh told reporters here today.
The Union Rural Development minister said he wanted Sidhu, whom he called a good friend, to join Congress before the 2004 Lok Sabha elections.
"I got him (Sidhu) introduced to senior leaders in the Congress. But suddenly he became BJP candidate. It was like backstabbing though I have never told him," Ramesh said.
Ramesh, however, took a dig at the BJP MP, saying that he never found Sidhu in Amritsar whenever he visited the holy city.
"He (Sidhu) never comes to Parliament. But whenever he comes he attracts attention because of his colourful turban, tie," Ramesh said.
Sidhu, who is apparently miffed with the SAD-BJP government in Punjab, would go on a fast-unto-death from tomorrow over stalling of disbursement of developments funds for Amritsar allegedly by some SAD leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Court issues arrest warrant against Vijayakanth, wife
- No plan for women in army combat role, Manohar Parrikar tells Rajya Sabha
- Dues over Rs 800 cr pending against Hotels in NDMC areas
- Emirates plane with more than 300 on board makes emergency landing in Mumbai
- BJP rejects Nitish's claims of slide in crime after prohibition