Told Navjot Singh Sidhu that he will never get respect in BJP: Ramesh
Chandigarh: Union minister Jairam Ramesh on Friday took a jibe at cricketer-turned-MP Navjot Singh Sidhu, saying he had warned him against joining BJP.
"I time and again asked him (Navjot Singh Sidhu) how many days you will stay in BJP where you (Sidhu) will not get any respect and where you will be seen as danger," Ramesh told reporters here today.
The Union Rural Development minister said he wanted Sidhu, whom he called a good friend, to join Congress before the 2004 Lok Sabha elections.
"I got him (Sidhu) introduced to senior leaders in the Congress. But suddenly he became BJP candidate. It was like backstabbing though I have never told him," Ramesh said.
Ramesh, however, took a dig at the BJP MP, saying that he never found Sidhu in Amritsar whenever he visited the holy city.
"He (Sidhu) never comes to Parliament. But whenever he comes he attracts attention because of his colourful turban, tie," Ramesh said.
Sidhu, who is apparently miffed with the SAD-BJP government in Punjab, would go on a fast-unto-death from tomorrow over stalling of disbursement of developments funds for Amritsar allegedly by some SAD leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside