Work on memorial to begin soon: Badal
Chandigarh: Work to construct a memorial, which will showcase supreme sacrifices made by Punjabis during the country`s freedom struggle, in the state will commence in six months, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said here Tuesday.
"Jang-e-Azaadi" memorial will be erected over 25 acres of land in Kartarpur village in Jalandhar district at a cost of Rs 100 crore, he said.
The construction work will begin within six months and will be completed in two years, Badal said presiding over the maiden meeting of "Jang-e-Azaadi" foundation here.
Spelling out the reason for constructing the memorial, the SAD patriarch said Punjabis had made supreme sacrifices during the freedom struggle but "the irony is that a large number of countrymen, including Punjabis, are ignorant about this".
The construction of the memorial will also imbibe the spirit of nationalism and patriotism among youngsters which is gradually fading away with the passage of time, he said.
"The memorial will showcase the sacrifices made by our forefathers during the era from the fall of Khalsa Raj to the attainment of independence in 1947," Badal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Next steps for European Union after Brexit
- Libyan forces clash with militants in Sirte, 14 dead: Official
- Rahul Gandhi reacts to NSG setback: 'How to lose a negotiation by PM Narendra Modi'
- Pope denounces Armenian `genocide` in Yerevan visit
- University of Mumbai T.Y.B.Com Semester Six (75:25) Result 2016 declared on mu.ac.in