BJP demands Gehlot resignation over rape charge against minister
Jaipur: Attacking the state government over the rape charge against minister Babulal Nagar, BJP on Friday demanded that Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot should immediately resign, saying his ministers have often faced "serious charges."
"This is a government of rapists and its ministers have often faced serious charges. If the Chief Minister has any shame left, he should resign immediately," state BJP chief Vasundhara Raje said in a statement released late last night.
"The state`s image is being tarnished and adversely affected by such rape cases in which government`s ministers and other elected representatives are blamed openly," she said.
The 53-year-old Minister of State for Dairy and Khadi, booked for allegedly raping a 35-year-old woman at his residence here, resigned yesterday. His resignation was accepted today by Gehlot.
Raje claimed that nine ministers of the Gehlot Cabinet had faced different allegations and resigned during his tenure.
She said Nagar should have resigned immediately after the allegations and demanded to know why he has not yet been arrested.
Nagar has been booked for allegedly raping, threatening and beating up the woman on September 11 after calling her to his official bungalow in Civil Lines on the pretext of giving her a job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery