BJP demands Gehlot resignation over rape charge against minister
Jaipur: Attacking the state government over the rape charge against minister Babulal Nagar, BJP on Friday demanded that Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot should immediately resign, saying his ministers have often faced "serious charges."
"This is a government of rapists and its ministers have often faced serious charges. If the Chief Minister has any shame left, he should resign immediately," state BJP chief Vasundhara Raje said in a statement released late last night.
"The state`s image is being tarnished and adversely affected by such rape cases in which government`s ministers and other elected representatives are blamed openly," she said.
The 53-year-old Minister of State for Dairy and Khadi, booked for allegedly raping a 35-year-old woman at his residence here, resigned yesterday. His resignation was accepted today by Gehlot.
Raje claimed that nine ministers of the Gehlot Cabinet had faced different allegations and resigned during his tenure.
She said Nagar should have resigned immediately after the allegations and demanded to know why he has not yet been arrested.
Nagar has been booked for allegedly raping, threatening and beating up the woman on September 11 after calling her to his official bungalow in Civil Lines on the pretext of giving her a job.
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow