Girl faces threat for refusing childhood marriage
Jodhpur: A girl who had refused to accept her childhood marriage with a local youth has been accorded police protection following threats from the groom`s family.
Rekha Choudhary, 20, a resident of Boyal village of the district, had been continuously receiving threats from her in-laws since August last year, who had allegedly warned her of moving to the community panchayat seeking the family`s social boycott if she remained firm on her decision.
"I complained to the administration after which the police provided me protection yesterday", Rekha said, claiming that the panchayat also had been taking the side of the groom`s family.
Making a point as to why it was not possible for her to go on with the relationship, Rekha said being an "educated girl who wanted to pursue a bright career", she could not pair up with somebody who has a grossly careless and irresponsible attitude towards his future.
"The boy, whom I was married to, is nothing but a loafer, who consumes psychosomatic substances and keeps roaming aimlessly here and there," she said.
A police official said the matter has been taken up seriously and stern warning has been issued to the girl`s in-laws.
This is the third such case in the district where the girl, married in childhood, sought to nullify her relationship due to different reasons.
On June 12, a 23-year-old woman Shobha had moved to the Rajasthan High Court alleging that a caste panachyat has threatened to expel her family from the village and slapped a fine of Rs nine lakh on them after she tried to get her marriage annulled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city