Nihalchand Meghwal refuses to resign over rape charge
Jaipur: Union Minister Nihalchand Meghwal, summoned by a court in Rajasthan in connection with a rape incident, on Wednesday ruled out his resignation.
"I will not resign," he told reporters at Sriganganagar district when his attention was drawn to street protests by Congress and women outfits demanding his removal from the ministry.
Replying to further questions on the issue, the 43-year-old Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers, said "no comments."
Nihalchand and 16 others were named in an FIR lodged by a 24-year-old married woman from Jaipur. In the FIR filed in 2011, she alleged that he had sexually exploited her.
Rajasthan Police had, in 2012, closed the case saying the charges were false and fabricated. The woman had then approached a district court which, too, dismissed the charges.
Nihalchand and the other accused have now been asked by a Jaipur court to appear before it in connection with the case after a review petition was filed by the complainant.
Nihalchand is the only MP from Rajasthan in Modi`s Cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in