Now, ID proof must to buy bicycles in Jaipur
Jaipur: Unwilling to take chances with bicycles after the recent explosions in Pune and the 2008 blasts in this Rajasthan capital, police have asked all bicycle shop owners here to take identification proof from purchasers and send the document to law enforcement agencies.
Jaipur Police Commissioner BL Soni issued the orders to shop owners on Thursday. Bicycles were used to plant the explosives in Pune, where one person was injured, as in the Jaipur serial blasts of May 13, 2008, in which 71 people were killed.
In Jaipur, brand new bicycles laden with explosives were parked at nine places in the Walled City area.
"It has been seen in some recent terror strikes that terrorists tend to buy bicycles, plant bombs on them and then park these at inconspicuous places in crowded markets," a senior police officer said.
Investigations into the Jaipur serial blasts, he added, revealed that nine terrorists came to Jaipur from Delhi in a Volvo bus, purchased bicycles from Kishanpole Bazaar here and planted explosives in them the same day. Timer watches were used to trigger the blasts.
"The special investigation team (SIT) which was formed to probe the serial blasts had prepared sketches of the terror suspects on the basis of description given by bicycle shop owners. It proved quite vital in the probe," said the officer.
The officer said that when it came up that new bicycles had been used in triggering Pune blasts also, it was decided to bind down the shop owners in Jaipur to take an identification proof from a purchaser.
"These identification documents may come in handy while investigation into any terror activity in the future," the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth