Pallam Raju to lay foundation stone for IIT-J tomorrow
Jodhpur: Five years after IIT Jodhpur began its first academic session, the construction of its building will finally begin with the laying of its foundation stone by Union HRD Minister Pallam Raju on Tuesday.
Raju will be accompanied by Union Cultural Minister Chandresh Kumari and Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIT-J Goverdhan Mehta said today.
The construction of the institute`s building had been postponing due to delay in preparation of its master plan.
The delay had even drawn flak from the Parliamentary Standing Committee, studying the progress of eight new IITs, which are operating from temporary facilities. All these IITs had been given a deadline of 2013 to shift to their respective new campuses.
"We are very ambitious regarding this campus and have incorporated numerous innovative and unique features and ideas in its master plan, which caused a little delay," Mehta said.
Assuring that the delay will be covered up, Mehta said the institute will be spread across 842 acres of land near Jodhpur-Nagaur Highway and is expected to be completed by 2016.
This IIT will be an educational oasis in the Sun City of Jodhpur and will be developed like a living laboratory where traditions will blend with technology, he said.
"Our final goal was to create a net zero energy, net zero water and net zero waste township. While renewable energy shall be integral part of buildings, a solar park across 180 acres of land has also been planned, which will house a science city," Mehta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers
- Jose Mourinho signs Manchester United contract: Reports