Rajasthan CM pays tribute to Sharma
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Tuesday paid floral tributes to veteran Congress leader and former Gujarat Governor Naval Kishore Sharma, who passed away here last night.
Gehlot laid a wreath and paid homage to Sharma in the presence of ministers and other relatives at his residence in Janta Colony here.
Sharma, 87, died at a private hospital late last night after a prolonged illness. He is survived by his son Brijkishore Sharma, who is the education minister in Gehlot government.
Born in Dausa district, Sharma was a five-time MP and one-time MLA. He held posts as the Union Minister of State for Finance (Nov-Dec 1984) and Union MoS (Independent charge) Petroleum and Natural Gas (1985-86).
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva and her Gujarat counterpart Kamla Beniwal, former Union Minister Natwar Singh, Union Minister C P Joshi, PCC president Chandrabhan, BJP state president Arun Chaturvedi, state ministers Bina Kak, Rajendra Pareek, Shanti Dhariwal and A A Khan were also among those who offered tributes.
Leader of Opposition in Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and former Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, Deputy Leader of Opposition Ghanshyam Tiwari, BJP whip Rajendra Rathore along with other party MLAs also reached Sharma`s residence.
Rajasthan government has meanwhile declared one-day state mourning following the death of Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets