Rajasthan CM pays tribute to Sharma
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Tuesday paid floral tributes to veteran Congress leader and former Gujarat Governor Naval Kishore Sharma, who passed away here last night.
Gehlot laid a wreath and paid homage to Sharma in the presence of ministers and other relatives at his residence in Janta Colony here.
Sharma, 87, died at a private hospital late last night after a prolonged illness. He is survived by his son Brijkishore Sharma, who is the education minister in Gehlot government.
Born in Dausa district, Sharma was a five-time MP and one-time MLA. He held posts as the Union Minister of State for Finance (Nov-Dec 1984) and Union MoS (Independent charge) Petroleum and Natural Gas (1985-86).
Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva and her Gujarat counterpart Kamla Beniwal, former Union Minister Natwar Singh, Union Minister C P Joshi, PCC president Chandrabhan, BJP state president Arun Chaturvedi, state ministers Bina Kak, Rajendra Pareek, Shanti Dhariwal and A A Khan were also among those who offered tributes.
Leader of Opposition in Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and former Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, Deputy Leader of Opposition Ghanshyam Tiwari, BJP whip Rajendra Rathore along with other party MLAs also reached Sharma`s residence.
Rajasthan government has meanwhile declared one-day state mourning following the death of Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India