Study on exposure to ancient toxin reveals startling results
Washington: In a significant revelation that may have a bearing on studying human mental disorders, researchers found that male and female rats are affected differently by ancestral exposure to a common fungicide called vinclozolin or endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs).
Vinclozolin is a fungicide commonly used by farmers to treat fruits and vegetables.
The study by researchers from University of Texas at Austin and Washington State University showed that female rats whose great grandparents were exposed to vinclozolin became much more vulnerable to stress and anxiety.
But males with same combination of ancestral exposure and stress do not have the same adverse effects.
"These results should concern us all because we have been exposed to endocrine disrupting chemicals for decades and we all go through natural challenges in life," explained lead researcher David Crews from University of Texas at Austin.
Those challenges are now being perceived differently because of this ancestral exposure to environmental contamination, he added.
For the study, they confined some rats to soft, warm cylinders for six hours a day for three weeks.
They found that for female rats, ancestral exposure to vinclozolin alone or stress during the animal's adolescence alone had negligible effects on the rats' hormonal balance and behaviour.
However, the combination of ancestral exposure and stress caused female rats to have dramatically higher levels of corticosterone -a stress hormone similar to cortisol in humans- leading to anxiety and more anxious behaviour.
The study appeared in the journal Endocrinology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble