Climate change causing Earth`s poles to shift
London: Researchers have said that climate change is causing the location of North Pole location to drift.
Jianli Chen of the University of Texas at Austin and his team showed that melting of glaciers and ice sheets because of greenhouse-gas emissions is making its own contribution to the shift.
The wobble in Earth`s axis of rotation is a combination of two major components: Chandler wobble, thought to arise as Earth is not rigid, and another is the annual wobble, related to Earth`s orbit around the sun.
Since observations began in 1899, the location of the North Pole has been found to be drifting southwards 10 centimetres every year along longitude 70 degree west. This drift is because of the changes in Earth`s mass distribution as the crust slowly rebounds after last ice age`s end.
But Chen`s team found that in 2005, this drift altered abruptly and it began moving eastwards, a shift that has resulted it in moving about 1.2 metres since 2005, New Scientist reported.
To work out why this happened, Chen`s team used data from NASA`s GRACE satellite, which measures changes in Earth`s gravity field over time.
The data allowed them to measure the redistribution of mass on Earth`s surface because of the melting of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and mountain glaciers, and the resulting rise in sea level.
The measurement correlated perfectly with the observed changes in the mean pole position (MPP).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in