New species of flying dinosaur named after 9-year-old UK girl
London: A nine-year-old girl in the UK has had a flying dinosaur named in her honour after she stumbled upon fossilised bones of an undiscovered species on a beach.
Daisy Morris from the Isle of Wight discovered the remains of the species of flying reptile dating back to 220 millions years ago on Atherfield beach four years ago.
The newly discovered species of pterosaur would be called Vectidraco daisymorrisae.
According to fossil expert Martin Simpson, this was an example of how "major discoveries can be made by amateurs".
Daisy`s mother Sian Morris said her daughter started fossil hunting just at the age of three and came across the blackened "bones sticking out of the sand" in 2009, when she was only four years old.
The Morris family approached Southampton University`s `Fossil Man` Simpson with Daisy`s finds in 2009.
"I knew I was looking at something very special. And I was right," said Simpson.
The fossil turned out to be a new genus and species of small pterosaur, a flying reptile from the Lower Cretaceous period.
Simpson said the island`s eroding coastline meant the fossil would have been "washed away and destroyed if it had not been found by Daisy".
The fossilised remains of the pterosaur has since been donated to the Natural History Museum, the report said.
Pterosaurs were flying reptiles that lived in the same time period as dinosaurs, up to 220 millions years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India