New species of flying dinosaur named after 9-year-old UK girl
London: A nine-year-old girl in the UK has had a flying dinosaur named in her honour after she stumbled upon fossilised bones of an undiscovered species on a beach.
Daisy Morris from the Isle of Wight discovered the remains of the species of flying reptile dating back to 220 millions years ago on Atherfield beach four years ago.
The newly discovered species of pterosaur would be called Vectidraco daisymorrisae.
According to fossil expert Martin Simpson, this was an example of how "major discoveries can be made by amateurs".
Daisy`s mother Sian Morris said her daughter started fossil hunting just at the age of three and came across the blackened "bones sticking out of the sand" in 2009, when she was only four years old.
The Morris family approached Southampton University`s `Fossil Man` Simpson with Daisy`s finds in 2009.
"I knew I was looking at something very special. And I was right," said Simpson.
The fossil turned out to be a new genus and species of small pterosaur, a flying reptile from the Lower Cretaceous period.
Simpson said the island`s eroding coastline meant the fossil would have been "washed away and destroyed if it had not been found by Daisy".
The fossilised remains of the pterosaur has since been donated to the Natural History Museum, the report said.
Pterosaurs were flying reptiles that lived in the same time period as dinosaurs, up to 220 millions years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?