Researches finally have an explanation to controversial T. Rex soft tissue discovery
Washington: Researchers have explained that the 68-million-year-old soft tissue which was discovered from the bones of a Tyrannosaurus rex did not decay and survived millennia because of the iron content in the dinosaur`s body.
Mary Schweitzer, a molecular paleontologist at North Carolina State University explained how proteins and possibly even DNA can survive millennia.
The finding was controversial, because scientists had thought proteins that make up soft tissue should degrade in less than 1 million years in the best of conditions. In most cases, microbes feast on a dead animal`s soft tissue, destroying it within weeks.
Schweitzer thinks that the soft, pliable tissue could survive for millions of years because of the presence of iron in the dinosaur`s body.
Iron is an element present in abundance in the body, particularly in the blood, after death, it is let free from its cage. It forms minuscule iron nanoparticles and also generates free radicals, which are highly reactive molecules thought to be involved in aging.
Schweitzer said the free radicals cause proteins and cell membranes to tie in knots and they basically act like formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde, of course, preserves tissue. It works by linking up, or cross-linking, the amino acids that make up proteins, which makes those proteins more resistant to decay.
Schweitzer and her colleagues found that dinosaur soft tissue is closely associated with iron nanoparticles in both the T. rex and another soft-tissue specimen from Brachylophosaurus canadensis, a type of duck-billed dinosaur.
Dinosaurs` iron-rich blood, combined with a good environment for fossilization, may explain the amazing existence of soft tissue from the Cretaceous, a period that lasted from about 65.5 million to 145.5 million years ago, and even earlier.
The study is published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'