10 dead, 16 injured in bus accident in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 10 people were killed and 16 others injured on Tuesday when a passenger bus crashed into a roadside tree and overturned on a highway in southwestern Bangladesh.
The accident occurred when the driver lost control of the vehicle near Jessore district.
The bus was going to Benapole in Jessore from Dhaka.
"The bus hit a tree at Godkhali on Jessore-Benapole road as the driver lost control over the steering around 6:30 am", said Mosharraf Hossain, officer-in-charge of Jhikorgachha Police Station.
Six passengers died on the spot while four succumbed to their injuries at Jhikorgachha Upazila Health Complex and Jessore Medical College and Hospital, Assistant Superintendent of Police Sharmin was quoted as saying by the Daily Star.
The deceased were mostly from Comilla, Kishoreganj and Demra of Dhaka, she added.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world mainly due to dilapidated highways, poorly maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?