10 dead, 16 injured in bus accident in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 10 people were killed and 16 others injured on Tuesday when a passenger bus crashed into a roadside tree and overturned on a highway in southwestern Bangladesh.
The accident occurred when the driver lost control of the vehicle near Jessore district.
The bus was going to Benapole in Jessore from Dhaka.
"The bus hit a tree at Godkhali on Jessore-Benapole road as the driver lost control over the steering around 6:30 am", said Mosharraf Hossain, officer-in-charge of Jhikorgachha Police Station.
Six passengers died on the spot while four succumbed to their injuries at Jhikorgachha Upazila Health Complex and Jessore Medical College and Hospital, Assistant Superintendent of Police Sharmin was quoted as saying by the Daily Star.
The deceased were mostly from Comilla, Kishoreganj and Demra of Dhaka, she added.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world mainly due to dilapidated highways, poorly maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack