10 dead, 16 injured in bus accident in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 10 people were killed and 16 others injured on Tuesday when a passenger bus crashed into a roadside tree and overturned on a highway in southwestern Bangladesh.
The accident occurred when the driver lost control of the vehicle near Jessore district.
The bus was going to Benapole in Jessore from Dhaka.
"The bus hit a tree at Godkhali on Jessore-Benapole road as the driver lost control over the steering around 6:30 am", said Mosharraf Hossain, officer-in-charge of Jhikorgachha Police Station.
Six passengers died on the spot while four succumbed to their injuries at Jhikorgachha Upazila Health Complex and Jessore Medical College and Hospital, Assistant Superintendent of Police Sharmin was quoted as saying by the Daily Star.
The deceased were mostly from Comilla, Kishoreganj and Demra of Dhaka, she added.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world mainly due to dilapidated highways, poorly maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city