10 dead, 16 injured in bus accident in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 10 people were killed and 16 others injured on Tuesday when a passenger bus crashed into a roadside tree and overturned on a highway in southwestern Bangladesh.
The accident occurred when the driver lost control of the vehicle near Jessore district.
The bus was going to Benapole in Jessore from Dhaka.
"The bus hit a tree at Godkhali on Jessore-Benapole road as the driver lost control over the steering around 6:30 am", said Mosharraf Hossain, officer-in-charge of Jhikorgachha Police Station.
Six passengers died on the spot while four succumbed to their injuries at Jhikorgachha Upazila Health Complex and Jessore Medical College and Hospital, Assistant Superintendent of Police Sharmin was quoted as saying by the Daily Star.
The deceased were mostly from Comilla, Kishoreganj and Demra of Dhaka, she added.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world mainly due to dilapidated highways, poorly maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'