10 dead, 16 injured in bus accident in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 10 people were killed and 16 others injured on Tuesday when a passenger bus crashed into a roadside tree and overturned on a highway in southwestern Bangladesh.
The accident occurred when the driver lost control of the vehicle near Jessore district.
The bus was going to Benapole in Jessore from Dhaka.
"The bus hit a tree at Godkhali on Jessore-Benapole road as the driver lost control over the steering around 6:30 am", said Mosharraf Hossain, officer-in-charge of Jhikorgachha Police Station.
Six passengers died on the spot while four succumbed to their injuries at Jhikorgachha Upazila Health Complex and Jessore Medical College and Hospital, Assistant Superintendent of Police Sharmin was quoted as saying by the Daily Star.
The deceased were mostly from Comilla, Kishoreganj and Demra of Dhaka, she added.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world mainly due to dilapidated highways, poorly maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev