20 dead in Bangladesh storm
Dhaka: At least 20 people have died in Bangladesh after a powerful storm lashed the country, the authorities said Thursday.
The storm hit the Noakhali and Bhola districts Wednesday night, leaving behind a trail of destruction, Xinhua reported. It continued to batter till Thursday morning.
Hundreds of fishing boats were missing in the Bay of Bengal. Thousands of thatched houses and crops were destroyed.
Police said 16 died in Noakhali, while four more were killed in Bhola.
Telephone and power lines were snapped in the affected areas. Officials said the toll may increase.
Storms are common in this South Asian country of about 153 million people. Scores of people die every year in storms.
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary