20 dead in Bangladesh storm
Dhaka: At least 20 people have died in Bangladesh after a powerful storm lashed the country, the authorities said Thursday.
The storm hit the Noakhali and Bhola districts Wednesday night, leaving behind a trail of destruction, Xinhua reported. It continued to batter till Thursday morning.
Hundreds of fishing boats were missing in the Bay of Bengal. Thousands of thatched houses and crops were destroyed.
Police said 16 died in Noakhali, while four more were killed in Bhola.
Telephone and power lines were snapped in the affected areas. Officials said the toll may increase.
Storms are common in this South Asian country of about 153 million people. Scores of people die every year in storms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic