20 dead in Bangladesh storm
Dhaka: At least 20 people have died in Bangladesh after a powerful storm lashed the country, the authorities said Thursday.
The storm hit the Noakhali and Bhola districts Wednesday night, leaving behind a trail of destruction, Xinhua reported. It continued to batter till Thursday morning.
Hundreds of fishing boats were missing in the Bay of Bengal. Thousands of thatched houses and crops were destroyed.
Police said 16 died in Noakhali, while four more were killed in Bhola.
Telephone and power lines were snapped in the affected areas. Officials said the toll may increase.
Storms are common in this South Asian country of about 153 million people. Scores of people die every year in storms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Pakistan