5 US troops die in blasts in southern Afghanistan
Kabul: Five American troops died on Saturday in bombings in southern Afghanistan where international forces
are stepping up the fight against the Taliban, officials said.
Four of the victims died in a single blast, NATO said in a statement without specifying nationalities nor providing further details. A fifth service member was killed in a
separate attack in the south, NATO said.
US officials confirmed all five were Americans. The
officials spoke on condition of anonymity under rules
regarding casualty identification.
The latest deaths bring to 75 the number of
international troops killed in Afghanistan this month,
including 56 Americans.
The US-led force is ramping up operations against the
Taliban in their southern strongholds, hoping to enable the
Afghan government to expand its control in the volatile
Rising casualty tolls, however, are eroding support
for the war even as President Barack Obama has send thousands
of reinforcements to try to turn back the Taliban.
On Tuesday, an international conference in Kabul
endorsed President Hamid Karzai`s plan for Afghan security
forces to assume responsibility for protecting the country by
the end of 2014. Obama has pledged to begin removing US troops
starting in July 2011, although he has linked the drawdown to
security conditions on the ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?