Al Qaeda man among 4 killed in US drone strike
1. Islamabad: At least four persons, including an alleged Al Qaeda militant, were killed today when a US drone struck in the lawless North Waziristan region after a lull in the CIA`s spy plane campaign in Pakistan.
The drone fired two missiles that hit a house adjacent to Barkat Shah Madrassa in Mir Ali area of North Waziristan Agency, security officials said.
Four persons were killed in the attack, including an Al Qaeda militant from Turkmenistan, they said.
1. The last US drone strike in Pakistan was carried out over a month ago.
The strike came just a day after Advisor to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz announced that premier Nawaz Sharif would raise the issue of drone attacks with the US on his maiden visit to Washington next month.
During a recent visit to Islamabad, US Secretary of State John Kerry had hinted that the CIA`s drone campaign in Pakistan`s tribal areas of Pakistan could end "very soon". However, the US administration later played down his remarks.
Kerry`s remarks marked the first time that a senior US official had indicated that there could be a definitive end to the programme, which the CIA has in the past called an effective counter-terrorism weapon.
According to reports, a total of 565 militants have been killed in around 400 drone strikes in Pakistan. However, rights groups say many non-combatants have also died in these strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!