Bomb in southern Afghan city kills at least 5
Kandahar: Afghan officials say a suicide car bomb at a police checkpoint in the southern city of Kandahar has killed at least five people.
Javed Faisal, who is spokesman for the provincial governor, says police stopped a suicide car bomber at the checkpoint near a branch of New Kabul Bank. The bomber then detonated his explosives.
Dr Mohammad Wali of Kandahar Hospital said at least five were killed and 25 wounded. He says ambulances are still bringing more victims in.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the Saturday morning attack, but suspicion will likely fall on Taliban militants.
The Taliban are especially strong in southern Afghanistan, which is dominated by the ethnic Pashtun community whose members form the bulk of the insurgency in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?