Bomb in southern Afghan city kills at least 5
Kandahar: Afghan officials say a suicide car bomb at a police checkpoint in the southern city of Kandahar has killed at least five people.
Javed Faisal, who is spokesman for the provincial governor, says police stopped a suicide car bomber at the checkpoint near a branch of New Kabul Bank. The bomber then detonated his explosives.
Dr Mohammad Wali of Kandahar Hospital said at least five were killed and 25 wounded. He says ambulances are still bringing more victims in.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the Saturday morning attack, but suspicion will likely fall on Taliban militants.
The Taliban are especially strong in southern Afghanistan, which is dominated by the ethnic Pashtun community whose members form the bulk of the insurgency in the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav