Al Qaeda planning to kidnap more Westerners
Algiers (Algeria): The Al Qaeda is planning a "wave of abductions" of Westerners in North Africa, Algeria`s secret service agency has said.
The Department of Investigation and Security has informed Algeria`s neighbours that the Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has a plan to kidnap Westerners in Sahel region, according Algerian daily el-Khabar.
The Sahel region comprises parts of many countries including Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, Ethiopia and Eritrea.
The next kidnappings were slated to be carried out by Mauritanian terrorists.
The secret service believes recent abductions were carried out by a group headed by Algerian national Wahi Abdel Baqi.
European humanitarian aid workers -- Italian woman Rossella Urru, Spanish woman Ainhoa Fernandez Rincon and Spanish man Enrico Gonyans -- were abducted Oct 23 from western Algeria`s Rabuni camp, inhabited by refugees from Western Sahara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble