Americans slam blasphemy charge against Pak girl
Washington: A prominent American Muslim body has slammed the arrest of an 11-year-old girl in Pakistan on blasphemy charges and demanded her immediate release.
The girl, identified as Rimsha Masih, is reported to have Down`s syndrome. She faces the death penalty for allegedly burning pages with verses from the Quran.
"It is imperative that the government of Pakistan immediately release Rimsha Masih and ensure her safety and that of her family and their community. The arrest of such a young person, especially if she has a mental disability, is a serious violation of Islamic principles," Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said.
Human rights violations like this must be condemned and challenged not only because of their great injustice against vulnerable people, but also because they are falsely committed in the name of Islam, CAIR said.
"It is reported that an angry mob played a role in inciting this arrest, and we ask Pakistani officials to investigate those circumstances. The reports of media and human rights organisations depict actions by local officials and extremist leaders that are unjust and contradictory to Islamic teachings," CAIR said.
In this incident it is not the girl who violated Islam`s teachings but the extremists who seem to have fuelled this unfounded anger, it said.
"We recognise that President (Asif Ali) Zardari has ordered local officials to explain the arrest, but we urge more concrete actions to protect minorities and other vulnerable members of society," CAIR said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi