Armed man damages Allama Muhammad Iqbal`s memorabilia
Lahore: An armed man damaged some memorabilia that were on display at the home of noted poet and philosopher Allama Muhammad Iqbal, who played a key role in formation of Pakistan, police said on Monday.
The man, identified as Ghulam Abbas, was angry at officials, who denied entry to the `Iqbal Manzil`, as the visiting hours were over on Sunday.
The residence of Allama Iqbal later turned into a museum is in Sialkot of Punjab province.
Abbas then pulled out a gun and forced his way in.
After taking a staff hostage, he damaged photo frames, a huqqa, a pen and inkpot, a bed, wooden furniture and other items related to Iqbal and his family, officials said.
Riaz Hussain Naqvi, the official in-charge of the `Iqbal Manzil`, said Abbas also assaulted some of the staff and then fled.
He was later arrested by police. Sialkot district police chief Afzaal Ahmed Kausar said Abbas was being interrogated.
Police registered a case against the man, he said.
Federal Minister for National Regulation and Services Firdous Ashiq Awan, who hails from Sialkot, expressed concern at the incident and demanded stern legal action against Abbas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in