‘Balochistan turning into a safe haven for militant
Lahore: A Human Right Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) report has said that Talibanisation is growing in several areas of Balochistan, and added that security forces might be patronising militants, turning Quetta into a haven for militants.
The HRCP mission had visited the province from May 15 to 19 to assess the impact of the recent measures taken by the government for Balochistan and to take suggestions from stakeholders to come up with a way to end the lingering crisis in the province, reports The Express Tribune.
The report stated that religious fanaticism was being bred within Balochistan. A burgeoning network of madrassas was contributing to the aggravation of inter-sect tensions, it said.
The mission found multiple layers of violence and tensions prevailing in Balochistan. The government, law enforcement and security agencies have completely failed to deal with militants, insurgents, and other criminal elements, the report said.
The chief minister spent most of his time out of the province, and the provincial government has not only failed but also conducts its meetings outside the province, it further said.
Kidnapping for ransom has become a profitable enterprise in the province and perpetrators have never been arrested or tried.
The reported said that if there is genuine will and commitment from the authorities to find solution to issues faced, the numerous challenges could be addressed.
It also noted that the Frontier Corps and intelligence agencies are generally believed to be involved in enforced disappearances of people. The police too are not trusted. Instead, the people put more faith in the Levies force since they comprises of locals, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre