Bangladesh to honour former Indian PM Indira Gandhi
Dhaka: Bangladesh plans to honour late
Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for her key role in the
country`s 1971 `Liberation War`.
"India played an important role in the 1971 war and
Bangabandhu (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman) acknowledged that many a
time. To honour her (Indira), the government is planning to
rechristen an important road after her name," private Bdnews24
quoted a source in the Liberation War Affairs Ministry as
A separate monument would be built to honour Indian
defence personnel martyred in the war, the source said.
Former Indian Foreign Minister Sardar Swaran Singh,
who played a significant role, will be accorded special honour
as well, the source said.
"The foreign citizens will be given honorary
citizenship and they will be presented with a crest of 50 gram
gold of 18 carat," the source revealed.
Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Dipu Moni said the
government was preparing the list of the foreign nationals to
be honoured for their contribution to the country`s freedom
"The 40th anniversary of independence will end next
March 25, but we want to publish the list by December," she
said after a meeting of the National Committee on Honouring
Foreign Nationals in Liberation War yesterday.
"We will sit again by mid-May and discuss a list of
over 500 foreign nationals," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Rio Olympic 2016: IOA taking steps to nullify Zika virus threat on Indian contingent
- Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016: Check rajeduboard.nic.in for BSER/RBSE 8th board result 2016
- Cong MLAs, Rashid stage walkout from J&K Assembly
- Shocking CCTV footage of deadly suicide blasts at Istanbul's Ataturk airport captured: Watch
- Kejriwal chides Goa CM over tainted relative