Bangladesh to honour former Indian PM Indira Gandhi
Dhaka: Bangladesh plans to honour late
Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for her key role in the
country`s 1971 `Liberation War`.
"India played an important role in the 1971 war and
Bangabandhu (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman) acknowledged that many a
time. To honour her (Indira), the government is planning to
rechristen an important road after her name," private Bdnews24
quoted a source in the Liberation War Affairs Ministry as
A separate monument would be built to honour Indian
defence personnel martyred in the war, the source said.
Former Indian Foreign Minister Sardar Swaran Singh,
who played a significant role, will be accorded special honour
as well, the source said.
"The foreign citizens will be given honorary
citizenship and they will be presented with a crest of 50 gram
gold of 18 carat," the source revealed.
Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Dipu Moni said the
government was preparing the list of the foreign nationals to
be honoured for their contribution to the country`s freedom
"The 40th anniversary of independence will end next
March 25, but we want to publish the list by December," she
said after a meeting of the National Committee on Honouring
Foreign Nationals in Liberation War yesterday.
"We will sit again by mid-May and discuss a list of
over 500 foreign nationals," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog