B’desh director dedicates new film to 1971 war martyrs
New Delhi: Bangladeshi director Tanivr
Mokammel has dedicated his new film "Rabeya" (The Sister) to
martyrs of the 1971 Liberation War who were denied a proper
Scenes from the war seems to have left an indelible
mark on a then 16-year-old Mokammel, who says he was
horrified by the insensitivity of occupying Pakistani troops
who let bodies of Bangladeshi fighters rot in fields, rivers
and ponds without being allowed a proper burial.
"Rabeya, a de-construction of Greek philosopher
Sophocles` play "Antigone" is set for its debut in
international festival circuit next month in Singapore.
"I had read `Antigone` when I was a student (of
English literature) and was moved by the courage of a sister
who, against all institutional forces, was determined to bury
her dead brother," Mokammel told.
"Indeed, to honour the dead is a sacred custom, which
is followed by all. But in 1971, the Pakistani military and
their Bengali collaborators denied this right to many; corpses
were left in the open during the war in a devastated country.
My film is dedicated to the memory of the martyrs who didn`t
even get buried properly," the director said at the movie`s
premiere last year.
Having made acclaimed films like "Chitra Nadir Parey"
(1998), "Lalshalu" (2001) and "Lalon" (2004), Mokammel opens
"Rabeya" with a shot showing some local allies of Pakistani
army declaring that anyone trying to bury the corpse of an
"Indian agent" and "terrorist" killed by the "patriotic"
Pakistani army would be shot dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31